[Wikipedia-l] Moldovan/Romanian

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 23:04:32 UTC 2006

First off, I noticed you totally dropped all of your FUD about how the
evil Russians are forcing Transnistrian Moldavians to use Cyrillic.
How come?

You also failed to comment on the fact that only 1 of the "Moldovan"
voters has confirmed his identity in any way, shape, or form.

Now, I'll reply to your message.

On 07/03/06, Jacky PB <dpotop1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Mark,
>
>  Whether or not you are fluent in Moldovan is extremely important here,
>  because you are the unique contributor. You created mo.wiki,

That's a heaping pile of falsehoods. The majority of contributions are
not by me, but by anonymous contributors (who may or may not be
Moldovan), User:Russ, and User:Gabix.

I did not "create mo.wiki" -- I found it empty, and added content. It
was "created" by a developer. Who originally requested it is
completely unknown to me, although it would be interesting to find out
who it was.

> you
>  copied (from ro.wiki) most articles, and you, alone, are fighting for it.

Again, not true. Various people defended it in the duration of the
vote but you discounted their opinions because they weren't Moldovan,
OR Romanian (but if they're Romanian, of course their opinions
mattered suddenly).

Also, at various times, it has been defended by Moldovans of diverse
backgrounds, including but not limited to Oleg Alexandrov (if I am
correct, he believes that, while it does make sense to have Cyrillic
content, due to the small contributor base and erratic nature of
contributions it is destined to fail without greater participation;
Oleg Alexandrov has said he is of entirely Moldovan/Romanian
heritage), Dmitriid (Dmitriid's view seemed to be that while the
Wikipedia may exist, it should make clear that Moldovan and Romanian
are the same language, and also it should make clear that Cyrillic is
not official in Moldova anymore and is not the primary script for
either Romanian or Moldovan; he said he was ethnically Russian but
born in Chisinau and went to a Turkish school where he learnt
Romanian/Moldovan), Vertaler (he was quite excited about the existance
of the project, but was ultimately disappointed because of the erratic
nature of contributions and small contributor and article bases; he
seems to have been ethnically Moldovan, but he was certainly fluent in
the language), Ali Noali / Elnoel (he held the same opinion as
Vertaler; he said he was from an affluent ethnically Moldovan family
who his webpage suggests were disgusted at the developments after
Moldovan independence and at the current state of the Moldovan
political and economic scene, blaming it on the new government), and
possibly others.

There are also the anonymous Moldovan contributors who wrote or
corrected content in Cyrillic.

>  Given that this wiki is by you and for you, it could be justified as a
>  hobby. But there are two problems: you do not seem to learn Moldovan

It is not "by me", and it is most certainly not _for_ me.

>  and you promote old stalinist linguistic policies that hurt people's feelings.

Stalinist linguistic policy would be to let mowiki fall into disrepair
and encourage people to use the Russian WP instead. I have not done
that.

And whose feelings have been hurt? Who have been most active in this
conflict? Not the Moldovans, no. The Romanians. A few Moldovans said
some stuff, yes, but the _most active_ people were all Romanians --
Ronline, you, Bogdan, Bonaparte, Danutz, Mihaitza, Duca, Goie.

>  And, BTW, you called me a liar earlier, but you somehow failed to mention
>  a single Moldovan editor (i.e. one that claims to be Moldovan) that supports
>  your views.

I already mentioned them, and you already complained about them. Some
of them have few or no contributions, but then, the same is true of
most of the "Moldovan Wikipedians" who voted on your side. How did I
find their opinions? You were sarcastic before and mentioned something
about psychic powers. That would be cool, but I'm not psychic, at
least not that I know of. I e-mailed some of these people a while back
to find out what they thought.

Mark