[Wikipedia-l] Voting for the closing down of Moldovan Wikipedia

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 11:35:40 UTC 2006

> It seems that I need to justify my participation in this discussion.
>  I have two arguments for it:
>  1. Fluency in Moldovan.  By any linguistic standards I speak  the Moldovan
>  dialect of Romanian (with the accent). And I do it correctly. This fact alone
>  should allow me to participate in the vote and discussions. I can even read and write using cyrillic script. Correctly. :)

Somehow I doubt you are able to read and write "correctly" in Cyrillic.

>  2.  I have relatives in the Republic of Moldova, and I know what they have
>  no linguistic identity problems. Just take a look in the list of Moldovan
>  editors: regardless of official politics (aimed at preserving good relations
>  with Russia), not one is for a moldovan wikipedia.

Five or six "Moldovan editors" voted. There is no proof that they are
all separate people or that they are all even Moldovans. Some of them
barely have 25 edits, or registered within the duration of the vote.
Anyhow, even if they were all confirmable as real people with hundreds
of edits, 6 editors voting for the deletion of a Wikipedia are hardly
enough for it to be a for-sure thing.

>  3. My participation into this discussion was subject to one strong rule: I have never entered in conflict with a Moldovan editor, for I believe they have the moral authority to do what they want with mo.wiki. What I have done was in line with their requirements.

That's because you've downright never communicated with a Moldovan
editor. They are elusive creatures. The only ones who make more than
the occasional appearance aren't living in Moldova, examples being
Oleg Alexandrov (California) and Liviu Andronic (Toulouse). Then there
is Serhio Dudnic (who is in Chisinau), but he didn't want to get
involved and all he said is that although he claims to speak Romanian,
he believes everybody can choose their own name (more or less).

All other Moldovan editors showed up and then left within a matter of
days; some made only one edit.

There are a couple of exceptions. But including all of the Moldovan
editors, there are a few who do support a Moldovan-Cyrillic WP, and a
few who are ambivalent.

Mark