[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia on iPod (Encyclopodia) available now

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 1 08:54:55 UTC 2006

Before anything, Robert, Wikipedia on ipod looks wonderful.
I do not have an ipod myself, so I can not *test*, but the very idea is
great.
Thank you for taking care of this.

Now, far from being willing to annoy you, I regret to tell you that Mav
is correct in his questions.

You mentionned on the web page "Wikipedia content (screenshots): ©
2001-2006 Wikipedia Contributors Permission is granted to copy,
distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free
Documentation License, etc...."

This is just correct. BUT, while the content is free to use, the logo
and the brand name are not free to use by anyone. So, you need to have
an authorization for this.

So, I would be happy that something is done about that. You may contact
board AT wikimedia.org on the topic. Please, do not feel "assaulted",
this is just basic requirement...

A suggestion I would make as well concerns the call for donation you are
making. While it would be a donation for the work you did to have the
projects on the ipod itself, I think there might be a confusion in the
public mind that the donation is somehow related to the encyclopedia
itself. This is in particular due to the fact you called the software
"encyclopodia". Have you thought of providing a link for donations to
the Foundation currently supporting the Wikipedia project itself ? If
not, I can certify it would be appreciated ;-)

I should have an ipod someday...

Ant