[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia on iPod (Encyclopodia) available now

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 1 00:47:40 UTC 2006

--- Robert Bamler <Robert.Bamler.epodia at gmx.de> wrote:
> > A link?? You need the full text of the GFDL on the iPod. Also - I sent you
> > an offlist question about the use of the Wikipedia trademark and logo.
> > Again - did you get permission to do that?
>
> 1. From your first sentence I really get the impression that you only want to
> annoy me (you have to give in that your remark is really silly since the iPod
> is an offline device)

My intent is not to annoy you, but to clarify some legal issues. You said link. Given widespread
improper usage, that could easily be interpreted as stating the network location. For example,
just writing http://gnu.org/fdl.htm - the link need not be active.

> 2. I got your offlist question and I already sent a reply several hours ago.

You only said that you removed the image from the website. Is the image also on the iPod database
you provide? I don’t have an iPod so can’t check. But the much, much larger issue is trademark
related. IANAL, but the way you have used the trademarked term ‘Wikipedia’ seems to me to require
some sort of permission from the trademark holder (the Wikimedia Foundation).

Asking if such permission had been sought and given is a perfectly legitimate thing to do.

> 3. Have you had a look at the website again? Or don't you have the time for
> that because you're so busy looking for silly assaults against me?

Please don't feel assaulted since that is not my intent. I simply want to make sure that your
great use of Wikipedia content does not jeopardize Wikimedia-held trademarks. Trademarks *must* be
proactively protected or they could be lost.

-- mav