[Wikipedia-l] Conference paper online

Andre Engels engels at uni-koblenz.de
Fri Jan 10 08:40:41 UTC 2003

> I just put online the paper on wikis that I presented on November 7 at
> a conference on electronic publishing in Karlovy Vary, Czech Republic.
> It gives a lot of credit to Larry Sanger and Jimmy Wales.
>
> Read it here, http://aronsson.se/wikipaper.html
> (This is a static HTML page...)
>
> If you have a pointer to any earlier paper on wikis appearing in a
> scholarly/scientific journal or at a conference, I'd like to know.

I did a search on CiteSeer (http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/), which gives me
the following:

Arie van Deursen, E. Visser: The reengineering wiki. Proceedings 6th European
 Conference on Software Maintenance and Reengineering (CSMR), pp. 217-220.
 IEEE Computer Society, 2002.

(Abstract)
"The ReverseEngineering and ReEngineering research communities have a strong
 tradition of collecting, organizing, and unifying research results. Typical
 examples include the ReverseAndReengineeringTaxonomy, dedicated web sites,
 the ReengineeringBibliography, as well as efforts in ExchangeFormats and
 tool evaluation. In this paper we describe and evaluate the use of a web
 authoring system to integrate such efforts. To that end, we propose the
 ''ReengineeringWiki'', which uses Wiki technology to enable web site visitors
 themselves to maintain and organize pages devoted to their topics of
 interest. This paper covers web authoring criteria, an introduction to wiki
 technology, typical wiki usage, and an evaluation of wiki-based systems.
 Moreover, the paper discusses the organization and contents of the
 Reengineering Wiki, and concludes with an invitation to participate in the
 Reengineering Wiki project."

----

Jonathan Rick, Mark Guzdial, Karen Carroll, Lissa Holloway-Attaway, Brandy
 Walker: Collaborative Learning at Low Cost: CoWeb Use in English Composition.
 CSCL20002. Boulder, CO, January 2002.

(Quote)
"CoWeb is conceptually based on the WikiWikiWeb (or Wiki) by Ward Cunningham.
 The Wiki is a web-site that invites all users to edit any page within the
 site and add new pages using only a common web browser; the text is edited in
 an HTML text area without special applets or plug-ins. The Wiki is an unusual
 collaboration space in its total freedom, ease of access and use, and lack of
 structure. The Wiki is inherently democratic: every user has exactly the same
 capabilities as any other user.

 Like the Wiki, CoWeb looks like a fairly traditional web-site, except that
 every page has a set of buttons at the top that allow the user to do various
 things such as edit the page, (un)lock the page, or view the history of the
 page over time. Links between pages are easily created by referencing pages
 within the same site by name (e.g., *Page Name*). If a page with the given
 name doesn't already exist, a create link shows up next to the name upon
 save; clicking on this creates the new page (see Figure 1). CoWeb shares
 Wiki's democratic philosophy of equal power to all users. Though our usage
 is mostly set in classes, where there is someone in charge (the instructor),
 we find little reason to give more interface power to the instructor than to
 the students. The instructor naturally has social power that does not need
 to be reinforced by the interface. As one professor commented: "I just like
 the interaction that it enables. It's basically a whiteboard that everyone
 can write on. Protections are always kind of a pain." "

----

M. Guzdial: Collaborative websites to support an authoring community on the
 Web. Unpublished, submitted to the Journal of the Learning Sciences 1998/1999.
 (the website this is on has not been updated since 1999, so I do not know
 whether it has actually been accepted/published).

(no specific quote, but this is again about CoWeb, which is indeed just a Wiki
externally)

----

L. Spoon, M. Guzdial: MuSwikis: A Graphical Collaboration System. Proceedings
 CSCL 1999, Palo Alto, CA.

(The PDF gave 'file not found')

Papers not really 'about' Wiki, but still mentioning it extensively or in
passim:

Dwight Wilson: Teaching XP: A Case Study. XP Universe Conference, Raleigh, NC,
 July 2001.

(Quote)
"It is important to understand that there are several environmental
 differences between an industry team using XP and using it for a
 University course. One of the most significant, mentioned in the previous
 section, is that much less time is spent together as a group. Indeed there
 was not much adequate time to discuss user stories, particularly during the
 first part of the semester when most of the class time was used presenting
 and discussing the XP practices.
 This problems was partially solved by creating a user-story Wiki. The Wiki
 allowed students to enter stories, edit existing stories, make comments,
 sign up for stories, and mark stories as completed."

----

Mark Guzdial: Using Squeak for Teaching User Interface Software. Technical
 Report #00-17. GVU Center, Atlanta, Georgia, 2000.

(Quote)
"One of the tools that we use in _Objects and Design_ is the _CoWeb_
 (Collaborative Website), aslo known as _Swiki_, since it's a Squeak
 interpretation of Ward Cunningham's WikiWiki Web. The CoWeb is perhaps
 the simplest possible collaboration tool: Every page is editable by anyone
 (via an edit link on the page), and anyone can easily create new pages and
 links between pages. By typing *A New Page* on any page, a new page is created
 and linked in with the name A New Page. Surprisingly, such a structure does
 _not_ lead to anarchy. Instead, it is now in use by some 120 groups at Georgia
 Tech, across ten servers, and is being adopted by other schools around the
 world.
 We use the CoWeb in several ways in _Objects and Design_.
 (...)"

----

Toshiyuki Takeda, Daniel Suthers: Online Workspaces for Annotation and
 Discussion of Documents. WWW2002: The Eleventh International World Wide
 Web Conference, Honolulu, 2002.

"Many of the systems described above support only annotations to web pages,
 whereas Pink supports not only web page annotation but also embedded
 annotation to documents, such as WikiWiki documents, created within the
 system."

Furthermore, I found a mention of:

B. Leuf, W. Cunningham: The Wiki Way: Collaboration and Sharing on the
 Internet. Addison Wesley, 2001.

Regarding Wikipedia, I did not find any articles yet, but it did get a good
mention in a presentation by Finn Årup Nielsen of the TU Denmark (who has
a Wikipedia login under the nick Fnielsen), see
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/cachedpage/536544/10