[WikiEN-l] SPEEDYING images Re: Jimbo's rule, copyright, old images with permission only

Pedro Sanchez pdsanchez at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 22:13:37 UTC 2006

On 6/22/06, Sherool <jamydlan at online.no> wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 19:46:12 +0200, Pedro Sanchez <pdsanchez at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Revisiting
> > http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2005-May/023760.html
> > and checking the long long long list of images at [[Category:Images
> > used with permission]] there are many of them kept becuase they were
> > uploaded before such date.
> >
> > It's been more than a year since the ruling, I believe older images
> > weren't removed in order to let uploaders tag them properly, find
> > replacements, or so they could be processed at the old Vfd.
> >
> > Quoting Jimbo
> >
> > "It is very unfortunate that such images are still being uploaded _new_
> > when we have not be happy about them for a long time.  It is not fair to
> > contributors who are working on such things, since we have no intention
> > to keep them in the long run."
> >
> > Well, if in the long run they have to go, it could start now. So, I
> > was wondering why aren't they being processed yet.  I'm thinking of
> > nominating batches of them at IFD every certain time. On the other
> > hand, however [[WP:IFD]] is clogged, so I was a bit hesitant about
> > doing so without more feedback.
> >
> > Thus I created [[User:Drini/OldCopyrightedImgs]] which has a small
> > sample for the first bacth and shows how I would be nominating them. I
> > tried to sample different kind of images (uploaded by the webmaster's
> > site, by random users, by respected old users, without source,
> > orphaned images, etc) so we can get an idea what we're dealign with.
> >
> > Still, IFD is overloaded, so maybe better alternatives can come up?
> > Maybe a IFD-like for this kind of images?
> >
> > Jimbo, what's your current view about such things?
>
> I don't see how anyone could object, either they come up with a fair use
> rationale or secure a permission to release the image under a free license
> or it gets deleted, simgple as that, as you say there have been plenty of
> time to fix this. Ok a lot of people don't know that these kind of
> licenses are no longer allowed, but they will know once they get the IFD
> notice on theyr talk page, and images can be undeleted now too, so there
> is rely no excuse to delay this any further, if people are uneable to come
> up with a compelling reason to keep an image within the IFD wait period
> they can simply request the images be undeleted though Deletion review at
> a later time if the copyright holder agree to release it under a free
> license after all. Nothing like a pending deletion to make people spring
> into action.
>
> Just be sure it's done "by the book", notifying uploaders and adding
> {{ifdc}} to captions where the image is used and so forth to boost
> awarenes about why they are beeing deleted. IMHO making as many people as
> possible understand why this kind of licenses are not acceptable are more
> important than getting them all hastily deleted, "by permission" and "non
> [...]

Well, my point is, why aren't these being speedied like the new ones?
If giving time for finding replacements was the issue, plenty of time
has been given, (yet precisely since they were kept, noone is
bothering to find free replacements). Jimbo says those won't stay
forever, but unless they start being gone, noone will get the free
stuff.

So, is anyone willing to support speedying these images?
** at least in the case of the ORPHANED noncommercial/withpermission
before the date** ?