[WikiEN-l] Non-commercial only and By Permission Only Images to be deleted

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Thu May 19 03:38:29 UTC 2005

All images which are for non-commercial only use and by permission only
are not acceptable for Wikipedia and _will be deleted_.  We have
tolerated them for some time, but only as an interim measure during the
time when images which were previously not properly tagged could be tagged.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Non-commercial_use_only_images
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Images_used_with_permission

Are the relevant categories.

Examples of images which must be deleted include:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:100_0062.JPG

(This is a standard photo of the Mission District in San Francisco --
getting a free alternative will be simple.)

and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:167957_7674BoyVerticalBlindsSilhouette.jpg

(This is a non-commercial only image for the purpose of illustrating the
concept "vertical blinds" -- getting a free alternative will be simple.)

As of today, all *new* images which are "non commercial only" and "with
permission only" should be deleted on sight.  Older images should go
through a process of VfD to eliminate them in an orderly fashion, taking
due account of "fair use".

It is very unfortunate that such images are still being uploaded _new_
when we have not be happy about them for a long time.  It is not fair to
contributors who are working on such things, since we have no intention
to keep them in the long run.

Therefore, these templates should be modified to warn people that these
images are temporary only and will be deleted soon.

--Jimbo