[WikiEN-l] Category:<Subjective-pejorative>, weak consensus, and ! NPOV

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 07:55:50 UTC 2006

On 6/22/06, stevertigo <vertigosteve at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I believe this is basic bonehead-level NPOV people,
> and  it should be a good lesson to resolve it. As
> interesting as it is to organize people by their
> faulty views, doing so in this manner only reveals our
> own  faulty adherence to the holy prime directive. And
> if youre one of those people who has to ask what that
> is...

It's a dodgy category bound to offend people. And is it helpful? Are
people likely to browse this category for some research purpose? I
feel that lists like "People that Israel has accused of anti-semitism"
would be more useful in that regard. Allowing such broad
interpretations of "anti-semite" or even "accused of anti-semitism" is
unlikely to be NPOV.

In any case, most of these religion or ethnicity-related categories
are pretty dodgy. I'd like to hear any suggestions anyone has for
dealing with them, and in particular, want to hear what the main
arguments for keeping them are. Ie: what is useful about
"Category:Jewish Americans".

Steve