[WikiEN-l] Category:<Subjective-pejorative>, weak consensus, and ! NPOV

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Thu Jun 22 09:53:20 UTC 2006

G'day Steve,

> Of course when I start putting Category:Anti-Arab
> people on various pages, people should rightly revert
> me. Such a subjective categorization, as its based on
> mere political rhetoric, or actions, should be
> regarded as drastically POV.
>
> [[Category:Anti-Semitic people]] on the other hand
> seems to get more leeway:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Categories_for_deletion/Log/2006_June_13#Category:Anti-Semitic_people_to_Category:Anti-Semitism_.28people.29

<muchos snips />

Well, folks and folkettes, we always have a long wait for these things,
but it looks like we've finally found another violation of WP:POINT.
Unless there's some fantastic joke there that's gone zooming over my
poor little head ...

For what it's worth, I do agree with you: [[Category:Anti-Semitic
people]] a) does not appear to serve a useful purpose, b) is not exactly
neutral, c) could well be described as a lawsuit waiting to happen, if
applied improperly.  I don't see a good reason for keeping it on that
TfD --- but that could be because most of the posters seemed to assume
the default position that *of course* it should exist, and we're just
talking about other stuff now because the keep/delete debate has already
been settled, and that unanimously.

You could do with being a little less strident about it, though.  Your
comment on that TfD wasn't going to change anyone's mind: it looks quite
logical to someone who already agrees with you, but that's not as
beneficial as you might think.

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"