[WikiEN-l] a new category for the living

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Thu Jan 19 20:40:23 UTC 2006

> This is a useful concept - we can set up a meaningful Living Bio
> patrol! - but how many biographies do we have? (I would *guess* 90% of
> our bio articles would have living subjects.)
>
> Remember that Category:stub was sorted because it became unusably huge
> - if your article name didn't start with A, it wouldn't get looked at.
> Our living bios *should* be sorted into many categories; presumably we
> will have an assiduous Living Bio sorting project?

I absolutely agree that the category should not become unmanageably
large.  I don't know what the best way to subcategorize it might be.

We know at the foundation level that living people's bios are among the
most time consuming issues we have to deal with.  These articles are
magnets for trolls and vandals and people with a personal vendetta, and
then they are also targets for people who want to change their own
article (*cough*) because it has errors, etc.

The new bio policy page is super duper excellent and the concept here is
to provide a tool for editors to be able to meaningfully sort through them.