[WikiEN-l] a new category for the living

Nathan Russell windrunner at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 02:14:51 UTC 2006

> Danny wrote:
>
> >I am writing this to announce the creation of a new category
> >on Wikipedia-English: [[Category:Living people]]. The category
> >should include the articles of all people who are still alive.
>

> This is a useful concept - we can set up a meaningful Living Bio
> patrol! - but how many biographies do we have? (I would *guess* 90% of
> our bio articles would have living subjects.)
>
> Remember that Category:stub was sorted because it became unusably huge
> - if your article name didn't start with A, it wouldn't get looked at.
> Our living bios *should* be sorted into many categories; presumably we
> will have an assiduous Living Bio sorting project?
>

> - d.

Agree.  Over-broad and unuseful categories generally need to go (or
have articles moved into sub-categories, as has been done with for
example Harry Potter character categories).  At one point we had a
[[Category:Millionaires]], which was deleted because it would have to
include about half our bio articles.  This one would be even bigger.

Nathan