[WikiEN-l] Re: Article size consistency 32k

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Sun May 22 20:29:52 UTC 2005

Fred Bauder (fredbaud at ctelco.net) [050523 06:07]:

> This is the typical type of problem you run into with folks using old
> equipment and obsolete software. Like, for example, folks in Mexico who use
> castoff US equipment. Given our geek editor base, most of whom have
> reasonably good equipment, it is hard to put ourselves in the position of
> those who are are trying to access the internet under less than optimal
> conditions, but is is good if we could to the extent we are able and
> accomodate them to the extent we can.

I was recently on dialup (waiting for BT to switch on my new DSL) and using
my lovely but aging Thinkpad 560X - Pentium MMX 233MHz, 96MB RAM. Firefox
is horribly slow with 96MB RAM ;-) I managed to work on Wikipedia and even
do arbitration (a real test of the usability of a tabbed browser) - so
we're doing okay for equipment of that level. It'd be interesting to try it
in Netscape 3 on a 486 with 12MB RAM like I had up to 2001 ;-)

- d.