[WikiEN-l] Verifiability

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Sun Dec 18 00:00:32 UTC 2005

On 15 Dec 2005 at 11:04, <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Waking up one morning to find
> a Wikipedia article exists about you, one that anyone can edit, must
> be a horrible experience quite frankly.

Sometimes, for some people... I'm sure there are others who would
feel honored, and still others who wouldn't particularly care one way
or the other.  This can't be dealt with in a "One size fits all"
manner.

Those who are big-time celebrities, from G. W. Bush to Britney
Spears, will probably expect to be written about online, including
silly rumor-monging, and won't be bothered by it unless it goes
extremely far in the direction of libel or defamation.  Those who
aren't celebrities might feel impressed that somebody would regard
them as important enough to be worthy of a bio in Wikipedia.  Some
who are attempting to become more famous than they currently are may
take the position, "I don't care what they say about me as long as
they spell my name right."  But others will take offense at even the
most innocuous article about them.  You'll find all types out there.

--
== Dan ==