[WikiEN-l] UK libel law and reusers

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Sat Dec 17 23:51:12 UTC 2005

On 15 Dec 2005 at 09:04, Anthony DiPierro <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:

> If we insisted on following every law from every jurisdiction on every
> page in the Wikipedia, I think we'd find ourselves with very little
> information left.

Sure... let's follow Muslim law by not including any pictures of
unveiled women... and Chinese law by not mentioning freedom,
democracy, Tianamen Square, or Falun Gong... and there are some
countries that severely restrict the use of Nazi symbols or
literature, so maybe some of the articles on such topics are in
violation.  Various religions and political movements are banned in
various places, so we should delete all articles on politics or
religion to be safe.  Some places have passed or proposed laws
banning even the provision of information about certain sensitive
topics, such as abortion, contraception, or illegal drug use, so some
articles might be illegal on those grounds too.

--
== Dan ==