[WikiEN-l] More fair use deletion wreckage

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Sat Dec 3 23:12:48 UTC 2005

Steve Block wrote:
> MacGyverMagic/Mgm wrote:

>> We need a way to record which articles an image has been on (not the
>> other way around) and we also need to see how a category changes.

> The use of {{tl|fairusein}} will let a user know where the image is
> intended to be used.  It might also be worth noting the information on
> the image talk page.

Yep. When I put a fairuse image up that doesn't have a categorised
reason (book cover, etc.), I try very hard to name the articles it's
being used in and why.

On Uncyclopedia, appropriated and manipulated images are de rigeur. But
fair use for satirical purposes is even wider than for educational
purposes, so I tend to add something like "the uploader asserts that the
use of this copyrighted image in the article [[whatever]] is fair use as
satirical and political speech under US law" or similar. c.f.
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Niggers , which is a fairly vicious satire
of the Cleveland Indians and their staggeringly racist logo, and adapts
said trademarked logo for its purposes. (I'm amazed they haven't come
after it; possibly they are having the good sense to ignore it and not
draw attention to it.)

- d.