[WikiEN-l] More fair use deletion wreckage

Steve Block steve.block at myrealbox.com
Fri Dec 2 14:36:38 UTC 2005

Stan Shebs wrote:
> I unexpectedly found myself in Anthere's position today - checked on
> my gallery of fair use postage stamp images today, and as expected,
> images for which I hadn't yet written the article had been deleted,
> but also some images long used in my article about Austrian stamps.
> Turns out that some anon had emptied out half the article, this went
> unnoticed for several weeks (it's on my watchlist, but must not have
> checked it that day), then while I was on vacation and not examining
> watchlist daily, the bot came along, marked the images as orphans,
> and a couple weeks later somebody else deleted. After *that* a nice
> anon quietly restored the article, leaving it unclear why the images
> were deleted in the first place.

I think there's certainly a germ of an idea here.  If we start tagging
images with {{tl|fairusein}}, we could move that all images so tagged
are not speedyable under the orphan rule, but rather must be taken to
ifd.  That would not, however, help if the uploader was on holiday, as
ifd lasts five days, but the uploader would at least be notified, as
that is part of the ifd process.  It puts another obstacle in the way of
the above circumstance.

Steve block