[WikiEN-l] Christian-Jewish reconciliation.

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Oct 1 19:18:11 UTC 2003

Poor, Edmund W wrote:

>Robert,
>
>I think everyone would agree that the word "apostate" has a negative
>connotation. Perhaps it's best used in a sentence like:
>*Francis Xavier McDougal called Friar Travers an "apostate".
>
>Also, most of us would agree that the article should attribute the POV
>that Vatican II is a "heresy" to adherents of that view, rather than
>stating it as a fact or implying that it's 'common knowledge.'
>
>I have high hopes for a quick Wikonciliation of this issue.

Despite being a capital offence in Saudi Arabia, I don't find "apostate"
to be so inherently negative.  It's only a renunciation of a religious
or political belief.

"Heresy" is slightly more negative since it undermines the sense of
security that people have in connection with their religious beliefs.
 But we're long past the days of the Holy Inquisition.

The term "common knowledge" is mostly rhetorical flourish that readers
should accept as rarely informative.

I find the use of the term "anti-semitic" far more offensive than either
of the two above.  The tendency to unreservedly use it on occasions
where Jewish sensibilities have been only slightly bruised is often akin
to a form of hate-mongering.

Ec