[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

rfrangi at libero.it rfrangi at libero.it
Fri Oct 12 14:08:30 UTC 2007

> 2007/10/12, rfrangi at libero.it <rfrangi at libero.it>:
> > > Gatto Nero:
> > > We, even if we would like to go there, we can't.
> > >
> > After reading this incredible thread, I vould like to put a "citation needed" tag on the above sentence.
> >
> > Please show proof that LGBT are arrested and expelled on arrival in Egypt. Or that their application for a visa are automatically discarded.
>
> I'm at work. Rapid search on google gives me these:
> http://www.hrw.org/press/2003/02/egypt022003.htm
> http://hrw.org/english/docs/2003/10/07/egypt6432.htm
> http://www.sodomylaws.org/world/egypt/egnews85.htm
> http://www.planetout.com/pno/news/article.html?date=2003/09/24/2
>
> In two minutes of search. I've not even read the full articles, for now.
> But what if I've searched enough time?
> You can say: "ehy, they were local". It doesn't seem so different, for me.
> It's not that different.

Horray! Some links in the end. I know it takes just two minutes, but the burden of proof is on you, not on me. Still those links you provided are no proof that entrance in Egypt is forbidden to LGBT people.

Now, since LGBT are not the only group that can be subject to discrimination, I suppose the problem is wider. So what do we expect? Do we want the WMF to choose for Wikimania a location where no one is discriminated? (That's to say the South Pole or the outer space)?

Or as a more optimistic goal do we want the WMF to keep Wikimedia in the free and tollerant western world, and leave those bedouins on their own?

Roberto (Snowdog)

P.S.: The last statement contains a large amount of irony. If you don't understand irony, please do not read the above sentence.