[Foundation-l] Cherokee Wikipedia Name Suggestion

geni geniice at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 19:05:06 UTC 2006

On 7/12/06, Jeff V. Merkey <jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com> wrote:
> James Hare wrote:
>
> >I don't know if we want the Cherokee name of Wikipedia to feature words like
> >"books", since there might be a Cherokee Wikibooks someday.
> >

> Give me a list of concepts and I will translate them for you.  If you
> have other suggestions, please post them here and
> lets get all the options out on the table.
>
> Jeff

Well wiki is suposed to come from fast. Pedia probably comes from the
greek for something like "general education". So the direct
translation into english would be something like "fast general
education"

A short defintion of wiki in english would be hard but soemthing like:

Editable general education /changeable general education

might be one aproach

collaborative general education

might be another

Other than that just tranliterate an accept that there may be other
reasons people don't want to work on it (after all our welsh language
wikipedia only has 4,563 articles)

--
geni