[Foundation-l] Cherokee Wikipedia Name Suggestion

Jeff V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Wed Jul 12 20:16:20 UTC 2006

geni wrote:

>On 7/12/06, Jeff V. Merkey <jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com> wrote:
>

>>James Hare wrote:
>>

>>>I don't know if we want the Cherokee name of Wikipedia to feature words like
>>>"books", since there might be a Cherokee Wikibooks someday.
>>>

>>Give me a list of concepts and I will translate them for you.  If you
>>have other suggestions, please post them here and
>>lets get all the options out on the table.
>>
>>Jeff
>>

>Well wiki is suposed to come from fast. Pedia probably comes from the
>greek for something like "general education". So the direct
>translation into english would be something like "fast general
>education"
>
>A short defintion of wiki in english would be hard but soemthing like:
>
>Editable general education /changeable general education

??????? ??????

anedeloquasgv digaleyvsgv

"editing of the teachings"

????? ??????

vgatahvi digaleyvsgv

"editing of the knowledge"

>might be one aproach
>
>collaborative general education

????? ????? ?? ???

vgatahvi anotlvsgv ale gadugi

"making knowledge and working together"

(Note "ale" is often meant and used as "or" and not "and" in modern
times, however, the 1800 dialects and Cherokee new testament use
"ale" instead of appending "tanv" to the end of words. Otali uses "tanv"
at the end of words, but its more proper to use "ale" in context --
point of order -- ale can be dropped and infered as follows).

vgatahvi anotlvsgv gadugi

"making knowledge and working together"

>might be another
>
>Other than that just tranliterate an accept that there may be other
>reasons people don't want to work on it (after all our welsh language
>wikipedia only has 4,563 articles)

I personally am embarassed by the name -- its dorky, wrong, and
offensive to some folks.

Jeff