[Foundation-l] The Perl Wiki, or Perl-Wikipedia

Eric R. Meyers ermeyers at adelphia.net
Sat Jul 8 07:01:35 UTC 2006

Hi Michael,

I'm very glad to hear from you.   I actually saved one of your recent emails
to foundation-l, Re: [Foundation-l] Wikiversity - feedback, because it
sounded so familiar about our both "pursuing parallel development of massive
projects."  I've thought about nominating myself "for your committee's
assessment and approval," because my thinking is very much in-line with your
more academic way of thinking.

I'm a Pennsylvania State University graduate, and I'm very proud of that,
because that is where I turned my brain on completely, into working in my
higher gear, and because that is where I learned not to be ashamed of my own
personal opinions and perspectives, even though most of the people around me
always disagreed with my more conservative Christian tendencies.

On Friday 07 July 2006 23:20, Michael R. Irwin wrote:
> Eric R. Meyers wrote:
> > snip
> >

> >Obviously, I'm not a wiki expert.  I'm simply a Systems Engineer and Perl
> >Programming Language advocate, who frequently uses Wikipedia to learn, and
> > I really like what Wikimedia has been doing over the last few years, so
> > I'm also a Wikimedia advocate.  I really liked Shlomi's great idea, and
> > Shlomi is a wiki expert from Israel, and he has researched and/or used a
> > variety of wiki server programs.  Jacinta is a wiki expert from
> > Australia, and she said that http://perl.net.au uses MediaWiki for their
> > wiki named "PerlNet — The Perl portal for Australia and New Zealand."  I
> > simply said that I'd like to help them to set this good thing up, and I'm
> > trying to figure out "The Right Way" to do it.
>
> You might consider setting up a Perl learning community at Wikiversity.
> In the short run it might consist of as little as concise summaries
> about links to other online Perl resources.
>
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikiversity
>
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikiversity:School_of_Computer_Science
>
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikiversity:Software_Engineering
>
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikiversity:School_of_Informatics
>
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikiversity:School_of_Library_and_Information_
>Science
>
> As you can see there are a number of places where an active Perl
> community might be placed. If you prefer front page billing and feel the
> community will grow large enough to justify it feel free to put a
> "School of Perl" or "The Oysterbed" in the initial index page.
>
> For your information Wikiversity is currently in an indefinite holding
> pattern. The links above are at a prototyping site within Wikibooks.
> Once final authorization to proceed is received we will probably
> duplicate the existing Wikibooks wiki and then delete or modify
> inappropriate materials at Wikibooks and at the permanent
> en.wikiversity.org wiki domain.
>
> If you speak German the de.wikiversity.org domain is already active and
> would probably welcome a large Perl prescence to assist in creating
> their wiki.
>
> I hope you decide to checkout Wikiversity. Good luck wherever you decide
> to publish or participate.
>
> If Wikiversity looks too raw and unorganized for your purposes of
> focusing on Perl, please checkback in a few years. Some of us expect a
> fairly rapid growth curve once the final wiki domain is active.
>
> regards,
> lazyquasar

Michael, as you can probably tell, I'm very into prototyping new systems.

How can an apparently illiterate collection of people in this world possibly
learn what The Truth really is today, if they don't get to learn from the
present day experts to educate themselves about what The Truth really means.

We live in a very complex world of utter informational mayhem and mass
confusion, and most people only spin The Truth for their own immediate
personal benefit, without showing any sincere regard for the others around
them who are just trying to live in peace.  I'm a complete believer in Jesus
Christ, who said that he is "the way, the truth and the life," and no one
comes to the Father except through him.  I'm a living Good Samaritan, even
though I've found that others don't even bother to return the favor to me,
when I need some sincere help during my times of personal troubles.

How can anyone possibly know what The Truth is today?

Proverbs 23:12 (NIV):
        Apply your heart to instruction and your ears to words of knowledge.

The Truth is always the truth, no matter how you look at it, and no matter how
many times or different ways you discover to look at it, it still rings true
with a pure resonance of something very real called the truth.  Lies are
simply imaginary things, they have no pure resonance, and they will always
fail the ultimate test for The Truth, and that is our multiply shared
opinions and our commonly shared perspectives.  Each of us has our own
opinions and perspectives, but when we share the same opinions and
perspectives, then we have come a little closer to what The Truth really is
today.  We all have to become more tolerant with each other, for the sake of
having sincere and honest discussions in pursuit of The Truth, because The
Truth is what really matters to all of us.  The Truth is "The Right Way" to
live our daily lives.

A good, free and open "Wikiversity" higher education is a very worthy goal.

I'm in to that too, so please let me know how I can help, because I will
always advocate "The Right Stuff."

Sincerely,

Eric