[Foundation-l] The Perl Wiki, or Perl-Wikipedia

Michael R. Irwin michael_irwin at verizon.net
Sat Jul 8 03:20:49 UTC 2006

Eric R. Meyers wrote:

> snip

>Obviously, I'm not a wiki expert.  I'm simply a Systems Engineer and Perl
>Programming Language advocate, who frequently uses Wikipedia to learn, and I
>really like what Wikimedia has been doing over the last few years, so I'm
>also a Wikimedia advocate.  I really liked Shlomi's great idea, and Shlomi is
>a wiki expert from Israel, and he has researched and/or used a variety of
>wiki server programs.  Jacinta is a wiki expert from Australia, and she said
>that http://perl.net.au uses MediaWiki for their wiki named "PerlNet — The
>Perl portal for Australia and New Zealand."  I simply said that I'd like to
>help them to set this good thing up, and I'm trying to figure out "The Right
>Way" to do it.

You might consider setting up a Perl learning community at Wikiversity.
In the short run it might consist of as little as concise summaries
about links to other online Perl resources.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikiversity

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikiversity:School_of_Computer_Science

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikiversity:Software_Engineering

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikiversity:School_of_Informatics

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikiversity:School_of_Library_and_Information_Science

As you can see there are a number of places where an active Perl
community might be placed. If you prefer front page billing and feel the
community will grow large enough to justify it feel free to put a
"School of Perl" or "The Oysterbed" in the initial index page.

For your information Wikiversity is currently in an indefinite holding
pattern. The links above are at a prototyping site within Wikibooks.
Once final authorization to proceed is received we will probably
duplicate the existing Wikibooks wiki and then delete or modify
inappropriate materials at Wikibooks and at the permanent
en.wikiversity.org wiki domain.

If you speak German the de.wikiversity.org domain is already active and
would probably welcome a large Perl prescence to assist in creating
their wiki.

I hope you decide to checkout Wikiversity. Good luck wherever you decide
to publish or participate.

If Wikiversity looks too raw and unorganized for your purposes of
focusing on Perl, please checkback in a few years. Some of us expect a
fairly rapid growth curve once the final wiki domain is active.

regards,
lazyquasar