[Foundation-l] WMF Approval of New Languages/Projects

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 11:26:52 UTC 2006

Daniel Bregman wrote:
> Over at Incubator we've been deciding our policy with regard to
> starting new language (of an existing project) tests, and new project
> tests.
> We've come up with this:
>
>    - New languages can create a test on Incubator quite easily, needing
>    only to get a few people who will help. (
>    http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/I:NTR)
>    - New
>    languages can create a full wiki using an approval process on
> Incubator, and it will be made (or not) after consensus
>    has been reached. (http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/I:NLR)
>    - New projects will need approval from the foundation to have a test
>    made, and then need further approval to make a full wiki.
>
> Is this acceptable? We are also not sure about what exactly the Foundation
> needs to approve. Views we got previously seemed to be slightly
> contradictory on this matter.
>
> Thank you for your replies,
>
> Dbmag9 (http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Dbmag9)
Hoi,
In the past we have accepted codes to be used as "language" codes which
were non-existent and have had as a result that we are not in compliance
with the rules of accepted use for the ISO-639 codes. When codes for new
languages are used that are not consistent with the existing ISO-639
codes (all two and three character codes) a language should not be
accepted at all.

Anthere has indicated a few weeks ago that in the end it is the board
that accepts languages and that this process happens at Meta not at the
incubator.

Thanks,
    GerardM