[Foundation-l] WMF Approval of New Languages/Projects

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 29 16:48:48 UTC 2006

Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> Daniel Bregman wrote:
>
>>Over at Incubator we've been deciding our policy with regard to
>>starting new language (of an existing project) tests, and new project
>>tests.
>>We've come up with this:
>>
>>   - New languages can create a test on Incubator quite easily, needing
>>   only to get a few people who will help. (
>>   http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/I:NTR)
>>   - New
>>   languages can create a full wiki using an approval process on
>>Incubator, and it will be made (or not) after consensus
>>   has been reached. (http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/I:NLR)
>>   - New projects will need approval from the foundation to have a test
>>   made, and then need further approval to make a full wiki.
>>
>>Is this acceptable? We are also not sure about what exactly the Foundation
>>needs to approve. Views we got previously seemed to be slightly
>>contradictory on this matter.
>>
>>Thank you for your replies,
>>
>>Dbmag9 (http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Dbmag9)
>
> Hoi,
> In the past we have accepted codes to be used as "language" codes which
> were non-existent and have had as a result that we are not in compliance
> with the rules of accepted use for the ISO-639 codes. When codes for new
> languages are used that are not consistent with the existing ISO-639
> codes (all two and three character codes) a language should not be
> accepted at all.
>
> Anthere has indicated a few weeks ago that in the end it is the board
> that accepts languages and that this process happens at Meta not at the
> incubator.

Uh, sorry no. New projects on meta. New languages on incubator. But I
think it is not very important and it is best people who run such things
decide where to put it.

HOWEVER, I see a huge problem with the rules you set up, which are not
consistant with a position the board has tried to hold for some time
now. Artificial languages. According to your rules, anyone (with help of
a few friends or of a few sockpuppets) can re-open the Zorglub language
(oldbies will understand which language is concerned).
So, your proposal needs to mention the issue of constructed languages.

Besides, I see you wrote "The Foundation will also have to approve the
domain". Errrrrrrr. I'd prefer we avoid such bottleneck. How about
something like "if at least 20 votes with a very large majority", no
approval needed. If less votes or less obvious support, then, the
Foundation or the spc must approve before creation ?

Ant