[Foundation-l] Wikimania 2008 and reflecting on what Wikimania is all about

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 09:13:29 UTC 2006

On 18/08/06, Kelly Martin <kelly.lynn.martin at gmail.com> wrote:

> For the record:
>
> Contributors to enwiki:
> 53% US
> 15% GB
> 7% CA
> 4% AU
> 2% DE
> 1% NL, FR, SE, IE, NZ, JP
> 11% everywhere else.
>
> This is based on geolocated IP addresses from a few months back.  Note
> that these are based on number of EDITS, not on number of EDITORS
> (which is harder to evaluate).  A slim majority of edits to enwiki
> come from the US.

The corrolary to this, incidentally, is that 50% (give or take) of all
actively contributing Wikimedia accounts just now are on en.wp. I know
there'll be overlap, so a more reliable (ha!) method, edit count...

A shade under half of the edits to all Wikimedia projects made in May
(since the figures were handy) are on en.wp. Allowing for some US
participation on other projects, that's ~ 1/4 to 1/3 of all
"involvement" across all Wikimedia projects being from the US. Which
seems a fair enough, if arbitrary, figure.

(It'd be interesting to see the statistics for US involvement on
es.wp, the other major language wikipedia I would expect them to
contribute to, if they're available.)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk