[Foundation-l] Wikimania 2008 and reflecting on what Wikimania is all about

Kelly Martin kelly.lynn.martin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 04:13:48 UTC 2006

On 8/17/06, Delphine Ménard <notafishz at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am not sure I understand you correctly, but I seem to read that you
> are hinting at the fact that the English Wikipedia is predominantely
> US contributors. If that is the case, and although I am not a
> contributor there myself, I believe this is forgetting the diversity
> of our biggest project. My take is there are enough international
> contributors who contribute to the English Wikipedia to never fall
> into a US/rest of the world kind of split, which at any rate, would
> seem to be an ultimate failure of Wikimedia ever pretending to any
> kind of international scope.

For the record:

Contributors to enwiki:
53% US
15% GB
7% CA
4% AU
2% DE
1% NL, FR, SE, IE, NZ, JP
11% everywhere else.

This is based on geolocated IP addresses from a few months back.  Note
that these are based on number of EDITS, not on number of EDITORS
(which is harder to evaluate).  A slim majority of edits to enwiki
come from the US.

I hope to talk Greg into running the same numbers for some of the
other larger projects.

Kelly