[Foundation-l] Removal of Cherokee Translators from Wikimedia

Jeff V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Thu Aug 17 17:42:28 UTC 2006

Aphia made the following edit:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Translation&diff=prev&oldid=410586

then left the following comments on my talk page:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Jmerkey

== [[Translators]] ==

I remove your website from the list by consensus of Promotion &
Translation subcommittee. The list is a list of translators, not a
website. You can't use meta for advertising your site.

Thank you for your understanding,
--[[User:Aphaia|Aphaia]] 17:33, 16 August 2006 (UTC)

:Removal of a community of translators from wikimedia seems counter
productive to the foundations goals.  I'll discuss it on the foundation
mailing list and see if the broader community agrees with your actions.
[[User:Jmerkey|Jmerkey]] 17:03, 17 August 2006 (UTC)

Aphia's contributions shows no such discussion occurring anywhere
discussing such an action:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Aphaia

I personally could care less, I am translating content as a service to
the Native Community and the Foundation.  I find it odd that Angela who
supposedly is public relations for a firm whose purpose and goals are to
promote the creation of new communities and her triumverate of
associates are so bent on running off contributors to other languages
they peronally don't like.    Concensus from whom?   a triumverate of three?

At any rate, discussion is open on the topic.   If having a Cherokee
based community website is so offensive, I'll maintain it off site and
the ANA and Federal Government finanacial contributors are welcome to
help us with the program.

Jeff