[Foundation-l] Wikimania 2007 - get ready for the third edition.

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Aug 17 20:24:22 UTC 2006

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen wrote:

>On 8/16/06, Sue Reed <sreed1234 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>There is something strange and geeky about me mentioning the World Science
>>Fiction convention on a wikimedia email list, but it fits the situation.
>>They have a really great system of organizing and planning future
>>conferences several years in advance. The convention is coming up for this
>>summer in Los Angeles, the 2007 convention location was chosen by popular
>>vote last year, and the 2008 convention location will be chosen at this
>>year's convention.
>>

>What you neglect to mention is the wonderful way in which the Worldcon
>rotation operates. For those not in the know; the Worldcon operates in
>a four year cycle, roughly speaking, and though the actual voting is
>only one year ahead, the submissions have to be verified much earlier,
>and actual campaigning usually starts four years in advance.

I don't think that a general vote at Wikimania is a practical way to
choose a future year's conference site.  There are too many practical
details to be considered which normally are only active in the
background.  For a world-wide organization such as ours local bias would
be a much bigger factor than for a conference with national scope.

Ec