[Foundation-l] Wikimania 2007 - get ready for the third edition.

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 02:22:01 UTC 2006

On 8/16/06, Sue Reed <sreed1234 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> There is something strange and geeky about me mentioning the World Science
> Fiction convention on a wikimedia email list, but it fits the situation.
> They have a really great system of organizing and planning future
> conferences several years in advance. The convention is coming up for this
> summer in Los Angeles, the 2007 convention location was chosen by popular
> vote last year, and the 2008 convention location will be chosen at this
> year's convention.

What you neglect to mention is the wonderful way in which the Worldcon
rotation operates. For those not in the know; the Worldcon operates in
a four year cycle, roughly speaking, and though the actual voting is
only one year ahead, the submissions have to be verified much earlier,
and actual campaigning usually starts four years in advance.

We will never take the same rotation system as Worldcons, as they are
horribly US-centered, three years rotating between East Coast, West
Coast and the Middle of the United states, the fourth year all US
sites being free to compete against possible candidate sites outside
the US, but it is not a bad idea to think whether we need a formal
rotation structure to assure venues do not tend to cluster either in
Central Europe or North America, or whether we will trust things
working out naturally.

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen, AKA. Cimon Avaro

Candidate for Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation in the
September 2006 elections.