[Foundation-l] board candidacies

Erik Zachte erikzachte at infodisiac.com
Fri Aug 11 05:25:38 UTC 2006

Walter van Kalken:
> I personally feel that one of the big issues is that people are required
> to spend their own money for things. This means that if you life outside
> of the US, even outside of Florida that your costs will be prohibitively
> high. I personally find that one of the most prohibitive requirements.
> Many people whom would have the time and the enthousiasm do not have a
> bankaccount for that. And that is one of the reasons I have a lot of
> respect for Angela and Anthere. They are willing to spend their personal
> savings for the betterment of the projects. People should realize that
> the next time they start complaining with them.

I concur with this entirely. We have enough dot com millionaires on the
Board, and the Advisory Board might add some.
This is not personal to anyone, those concerned probably just got their
priorities right.

What 'saddens' me however is the way Anthere was treated during the Board
session last Sunday when the issue of paying board members was brought up.
Jimbo made a casual remark to the effect of "(I'm not sure) we want to pay
board members, besides it is not allowed by the bylaws" (paraphrasing here).
Easy to say in his position. Then someone made a witty but badly timed joke
about the situation, the chairman of the Board might have intervened at that
moment. I feel it was humiliating for Anthere. Maybe the bylaws allow other
board members than Jimmy to accept well paid invitations for keynote
speeches?

Erik Zachte