[Foundation-l] Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny

Michael R. Irwin michael_irwin at verizon.net
Thu Apr 20 08:26:39 UTC 2006

Patrick, Brad wrote:

>Greetings:
>
>I am the attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation in the US.  I work for
>the Board.  Among my responsibilities is keeping the Foundation out of
>legal trouble and responding to lawsuits, actual and threatened.  I have
>had a long chat with Eric Moeller about the circumstances that resulted
>in his ban (since reverted by someone Being Bold).  I also believe that
>the misunderstanding, although in good faith, still presented a risk to
>the Foundation.

What is your qualified legal opinion regarding Eric's suggestion that
the work be labeled appropriately so that other members of the community
(or he) do not repeat this mistake in the future?

Would proper labeling reduce the Foundation's legal risks in the future?

This is not a trivial rhetorical question.  In the early days of
Wikipedia  it was often unclear in what capacity various agents such as
Bomis employees were acting.   Now with the success of the Wikimedia
Foundation in fund raising we once again have employees and professional
staff .... and there appears to be some form of communications failure
or conflict once again occuring between compensated professionals and
community volunteers.

>The issue of blocked articles is a complex one, and in many instances
>can be the visible result of careful consideration on the part of
>Foundation board members, staff, and other admins/bureaucrats/sysops who
>have knowledge of the facts and circumstances.  Often the community at
>large will not have any idea what the facts and underlying
>considerations are.  Not everything that involves Wikipedia is public,
>nor should it be.  The typical user or admin doesn't have all the pieces
>of the puzzle.  Don't let hubris get the better of you.
>
>There may be those of you who have yet to experience the American legal
>system in any fashion, save for a movie or two.  Dealing with lawsuits
>is what I do for a living.  Avoiding them is also what I do for a
>living.  My job is to make sure that the Foundation has the best legal
>advice and best options open to it to keep things running smoothly, and
>to not land in court unless all other avenues have been exhausted.

Are you paid by Foundation funds or by personal funds of  members of the
stacked Board?

In a conflict of interest between the Foundation's responsiblities to
the pulblic as per Florida law and the Board members' personal interests
who do you represent?

>The WP:OFFICE policy is still in its infancy.  People will challenge it
>through their words and actions.  Everyone is entitled to his or her
>opinion.  But I believe everyone who believes in the future success and
>sustainability of the project must also recognize the need for judicious
>use of confidentiality at the Foundation level.

Personally I do not see any need for a non profit public foundation
dedicated to legally publishing free information created by the public
at large; and located physically in the United States of America; to be
engaged in excessive secrecy.  Certainly employee social security
numbers should be kept private in keeping with U.S. laws.  The need for
secret or private communications tools such as restricted email lists,
non public meetings, etc. escapes me.  Certainly I would advise you to
comply strictly with all provisions of the U.S. Patriot Act when called
upon by warrant to cooperate with U.S. Federal authorities, unless you
enjoy small cubicle environments.

It has been my experience that often lawyers cite specific sections of
U.S. or State code or regulations or even specific phrases or case law
when informing lay people of their opinions regarding legal matters.

Perhaps if you or the office were to write up some specific
recommendations regarding how the community or the Wikimedia Foundation
or your client could avoid legal liabilities by actually complying with
the applicable laws rather than simply recommending that the Foundation
get secretive about its "private" matters we could avoid some legal
risks in the future?

In your august opinion; does arbitrary, capricious, or excessive action
towards an individual such as Eric, who has demonstrably contributed in
large positive measurable ways to the community's projects in the past
incur any legal, operational, or measurable avoidable risks for the
Foundation, the stacked Board, or their legal advisers?

I suggest the community members present on the Foundation-L mailing list
consider a placebo vote regarding whether the Wikimedia Foundation
should issue an apology to Eric and reimburse him for the long distance
calls necessary to recover his editing priveleges.

I vote Aye.  Sorry about the inconvenience Eric.   I value your past and
future contributions and I think the Wikimedia Foundation should send
you a reimbursement check for the no doubt expensive phone calls
necessary to straighten out this mess so that you can continue
volunteering your efforts to our projects.

>The Foundation officers
>and Board members have a fiduciary obligation to the organization, as I
>do as a lawyer for my client.
>
>Certain members of the community (and notably, not Mr. Moeller) have
>expressed dissatisfaction about WP:OFFICE and its use.  There is a
>healthy debate yet to be had about it.  We can have that debate, but I
>also have to make clear that the Foundation's obligations are greater
>than loyalty to any one user.  Even someone with the history of
>contributions to Mr. Moeller.

Are the Wikimedia Foundation's obligations greater than loyalty to a
single founder or stacked Board of Directors?

In the event of a conflict do you work for the stacked Board, Jimmy
Wales, or the Foundation?  Is your client the stacked Board, Jimmy
Wales, or the Wikimedia Foundation?  What is the legal signature on
checks sent to your office in response to invoices?  Does U.S. and/or
Florida law distinguish between individuals in offices and the
organization itself?

Does the Wikimedia Foundation have any fiduciary responsibilities to the
contributing public and the public at large under U.S. law?  Are these
responsibilities defined exclusively by U.S. law or are the public
solicitations used to gather public donations considered somewhat
influential or binding in Florida State or U.S. Federal  courts?

Regards,
Michael R. Irwin
aka,
lazyquasar or