[Foundation-l] Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 20 12:54:56 UTC 2006

--- "Michael R. Irwin" <michael_irwin at verizon.net>
wrote:

> I suggest the community members present on the
> Foundation-L mailing list
> consider a placebo vote regarding whether the
> Wikimedia Foundation
> should issue an apology to Eric and reimburse him
> for the long distance
> calls necessary to recover his editing priveleges.

I have not followed the details of this, but I will
tell you what I think in general terms.  I am amazed
how many people have written this list with the
underlying idea that it is proper to immediately
revert the admin action of *any* other admin without
disscusiion.  I think that in itself would deserve
some sort of reprimand, and shows unsuitability as an
admin.

First Eric commits what I consider a breach of
etiquette by unprotecting a page on his own.  This may
be just a difference in culture, but at WS we expect
admins to request protection/unprotection like any
other editor and a separate admin will carry out the
action.  So to unprotect a page on your own volition
is like closing a deletion where you made the original
nomination in my eyes.  Next is the fact that page had
*just* been protected.  If it had just been done by
any average admin, I would question if Eric was trying
to start a wheel war at this point. Then you add the
fact that the admin action was made by a *steward*,
which is a highly trusted position.  Now any idea the
Eric is acting in good faith is very hard to believe.
Do you really believe it is acceptable to revert a
steward on any admin action without discussion?  And
on top of that Danny is a Foundation employee who
often makes non-editorial decisions.  I don't know how
Eric could not have known he was asking for trouble.
The fact that I have seen so many responses purporting
that Eric made an honest mistake only makes me certain
that a strong message needed to be sent.  I will not
comment on the actual reprimands, because I am not
familiar with what generally warrants desysoping at
WP.  I cannot express how surprised I am that you
think Eric should get an apology.  I do hope he can be
repatriated to the project and that everyone who at
first thought his actions where acceptable realizes
their error.

I wonder sometimes whether people involved in this
project, really take it seriously.  This is real
organization here with real concerns and a real
hierarchy.  We elect stewards for a reason, so that
when they do something it can be trusted.  We ask
people like Danny to take responsibility to do the
things that must be done for this organization.  We
must trust them.

If you do not trust the organization, work to change
it on the big issues that your distrust stems from.
Picking a fight with every decision however will get
you no results.  People will simply tune you out.  Not
everyone (or even many people) can be aware of the
details of every decision.  If this is the reason for
any lack of trust, I think the problem is more with
you.  Because no matter who sits on the board that is
not going to change.

BirgitteSB