[Foundation-l] Wikinews is giving out press credentials

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Wed Nov 9 21:43:35 UTC 2005

Dariusz Siedlecki wrote:
> There you go. The point of this email is just to prove that we NEED
> press credentials, press badges, and stuff like that. But this also
> has to be international. This has to be discussed between the
> Wikinewsies of the major Wikinews languages and the Board.

The interesting question is what happens when one Wikinews
reporter abuses her credentials?  Say for example that you are let
into a press conference, and there you start to throw eggs and
tomatoes on the politician.  Who apologizes to the organizers?
Who revokes the credentials for the reporter who misbehaved?  Who
promises that this won't happen again?

I guess it would have to be the press officer (Elian) or chairman
(Jimbo) of the Wikimedia Foundation.  But I'm just guessing.

If getting press credentials is too easy, they can easily be
abused, and their value/usefulness might fall very quickly.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)