[Foundation-l] Re: Licenses

Sj 2.718281828 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 18:52:25 UTC 2005

On 6/22/05, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hoi,
> The NTG is a Dutch organisation that maintains a resource that is used
> by most Open/Free software application that are in need of such a
> resource. These applications are under any and all Open / Free licenses.
> The NTG has it nominally under the LGPL but they do not enforce it at
> all. The license is there to ensure that nobody can make it propietary.

Are NTG against commercial re-use?

< an extra objective; to be the lexicological
> resource of choise for Open / Free projects. I am of the opinion that
> this would be an opportunity too good to miss.

You are using "open" and "free" very loosely here.  If we want to be
the resource of choice for all projects of any type whatsoever, we
cannot make the content non-commercial-use-only.  A non-commercial
project cannot accept GFDL content; a GFDL project cannot accept
non-comm content.

SJ