[Foundation-l] Re: Licenses

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 13:40:06 UTC 2005

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>Gerard Meijssen wrote:
>

>>I do ask the board: When the Ultimate Wiktionary is life, do we allow
>>all and any use of our data and do we allow at least other Open or Free
>>organisations to use the content of the UW in their applications without
>>restrictions ?
>>

>I am very sorry, but I do not understand the question.  I support that
>people should be able to freely use our data, but as per specific
>questions, I don't quite get what you are asking.
>
>--Jimbo

Hoi,
The NTG is a Dutch organisation that maintains a resource that is used
by most Open/Free software application that are in need of such a
resource. These applications are under any and all Open / Free licenses.
The NTG has it nominally under the LGPL but they do not enforce it at
all. The license is there to ensure that nobody can make it propietary.

I do want to cooperate with these people, getting the list into the
Ultimate Wiktionary is relatively easy but it would make more sense if
we could be a resource to hold this type of data for ANY Open / Free
application. It would give us a community that is instantly much bigger.
It would give the UW an extra objective; to be the lexicological
resource of choise for Open / Free projects. I am of the opinion that
this would be an opportunity too good to miss.

When we achieve this for the Dutch language, I am sure we will be able
to achieve this for other languages as well. The question is can we do
this and are we willing to do this from a license point of view and how
do we do this with licenses in mind.

Thanks,
    Gerard