[Foundation-l] Re: Licenses

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 19:21:41 UTC 2005

Sj wrote:

>On 6/22/05, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Hoi,
>>The NTG is a Dutch organisation that maintains a resource that is used
>>by most Open/Free software application that are in need of such a
>>resource. These applications are under any and all Open / Free licenses.
>>The NTG has it nominally under the LGPL but they do not enforce it at
>>all. The license is there to ensure that nobody can make it propietary.
>>

>Are NTG against commercial re-use?

There will be two parties involved: OSOSS and NTG, I will know
exactlywhere they stand once I met them. I will have a meeting on the
eight of July.

>< an extra objective; to be the lexicological
>

>>resource of choise for Open / Free projects. I am of the opinion that
>>this would be an opportunity too good to miss.
>>

>You are using "open" and "free" very loosely here.  If we want to be
>the resource of choice for all projects of any type whatsoever, we
>cannot make the content non-commercial-use-only.  A non-commercial
>project cannot accept GFDL content; a GFDL project cannot accept
>non-comm content.
>
>SJ

I use it loosely as both Open and Free software applications make use of
this resource. The NTG is really not interested in licenses, they want
the resource to be used. In a way I sympathise even agree, once
information is truly Free there is no purpose in making a proprietary
resource that does the same. As to what license is best, I have at this
moment no clue. I do know that there may be changes underway with regard
to the GFDL..

Thanks,
    GerardM