[Foundation-l] Re: Expanding CheckUser permissions

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Sun Apr 17 17:59:29 UTC 2005

Anthere (anthere9 at yahoo.com) [050418 03:24]:
> David Gerard a écrit:
> > Tim Starling

> >>it. So it's not just two people overseeing each other. I'd prefer it if
> >>more people could view the log, but for privacy reasons we can't make it
> >>public at this stage. If there's sufficient demand, we could probably
> >>make partial logs available -- say, just the usernames but not the IP
> >>addresses.

> > I can see the creatively antisocial trying to use that as a point against
> > other editors they are in combat with.

> I would not support any such list to be public. It seems to me that
> bringing public suspicion over someone is already a bit condemning him.
> This is not wikilove at all, and prone to further heat conflicts.

Precisely.

> Another solution could simply be to name two people ombudsmen over this
> topic. We should choose two people trusted by the community, BUT
> generally out of usual cabalistic discussions. Rather quiet and discreet
> people, not involved in current internal politics. These are most likely
> to be independant from those with the right to check the ips.

That's a good idea! Add it to [[m:CheckUser]] ;-)

Since the community hasn't added much that's solid or elegant in the way of
guidelines for my non-dev use of the function, I plan to add outlines for
my future use of the function to m:CheckUser and see who screams. Something
along the lines of "any strong suspicion of sockpuppetry to violate ArbCom
ban or restriction" as well as the current criterion I use, which is
"well-founded suspicion of sockpuppetry in current ArbCom case" or similar.
And see who screams and how loud.

- d.