[Foundation-l] Re: Expanding CheckUser permissions

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 17 17:25:03 UTC 2005

David Gerard a écrit:
 > Tim Starling
(t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au) [050412
22:40]:

 >>>Unfortunately, that will give everyone a damn good idea of what people's
 >>>IPs are. At present, all access show on the page, so Tim and I can
see what
 >>>each other have accessed. (He's used it precisely twice, to test it ;-)
 >>

 >>I put the log in a flat file on NFS
 >>(/home/wikipedia/logs/checkuser.log), partly to make it easy for
 >>suspicious developers to check up on what the users have been doing with
 >>it. So it's not just two people overseeing each other. I'd prefer it if
 >>more people could view the log, but for privacy reasons we can't make it
 >>public at this stage. If there's sufficient demand, we could probably
 >>make partial logs available -- say, just the usernames but not the IP
 >>addresses.
 >

 > I can see the creatively antisocial trying to use that as a point against
 > other editors they are in combat with.
 >

 > - d.

I would not support any such list to be public. It seems to me that
bringing public suspicion over someone is already a bit condemning him.
This is not wikilove at all, and prone to further heat conflicts.

Another solution could simply be to name two people ombudsmen over this
topic. We should choose two people trusted by the community, BUT
generally out of usual cabalistic discussions. Rather quiet and discreet
people, not involved in current internal politics. These are most likely
to be independant from those with the right to check the ips.

Ant