[Foundation-l] Re:Wikimedia Communs

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Fri May 28 15:58:00 UTC 2004

Andre-
> I think the effect will rather be opposite. By introducing many things
> at once, it is likely that some will not be used that would be if
> presented separately.

I find it difficult to believe that we would generate a lot of interest
with an announcement that we have now a shared media repository, but that
it isn't possible to use images from there anywhere without re-uploading
them, that there is no improved upload form, no transparent inclusion of
images, etc. I think it would generate about the same interest that
Wikisource did, with a few people like yourself starting to put up what
they've been wanting to put somewhere for a long time and creating the
basic structure (with the associated problems I have described below).

On the other hand, when we launch the Commons in one fell swoop, with all
the changes - the brandnew upload form, the single login, the transparent
inclusion if images, perhaps a "Move to commons" button on image pages -
that will certainly generate a lot of interest in "What's going on over
there?" and thanks to single sign-on, people can try it out immediately
without having to set up yet another account.

> Also, I think we can diide the users of Wikicommons in two groups - those
> directly interested, and those who are interested because it helps them
> with another project. The first group can be got without extra features.
> The second group will more likely be caught with content than with
> features.

I think the first group is very small, and I think the second group will
be initially interested, but turned away by the samll things like having
to create a new account, having to re-upload files, etc. Most people have
a very low tolerance of frustration, especially when working on hobby
projects. That's why usability is so essential, and the features we want
are really usability features. For example, I also think that
participation on Meta would be much greater if we had single sign-on.

>> - The initial edits on a wiki lay the foundation of what that wiki will
>> become. If just a few people get involved in this project, because it
>> offers no really cool, exciting possibilities, then the project foundation
>> may well not be as solid as it could be. For example, people may decide to
>> create image categories and upload requirements in the first two weeks.
>> This structure will then become harder and harder to change as it seeps
>> in, and when we add all the new cool features which attract more people --
>> a better upload form, transparent use of commons media from all wikis,
>> single sign-on -- it may already be too late to quickly and effectively
>> fix certain problems. Too much may have grown into the structure already.

> Again, the cool, exciting features are I think not what draws people to the
> project. Their own wish for a project like this, and the content of the
> project are the more likely elements.

See above.

> Problems like you describe will definitely happen, but I think they will
> happen just as much if we wait as when we don't.

Why do you think that?

Regards,

Erik