[Foundation-l] Re:Wikimedia Communs

Andre Engels engelsAG at t-online.de
Fri May 28 13:33:00 UTC 2004

"Erik Moeller" <erik_moeller at gmx.de> schrieb:
> Andre-
> (regarding the commons and similar ideas)

I'll try to remain calm...

> - This is our best opportunity to get single sign-on working, a feature
> which we desperately need. Because the Commons effectively requires access
> to a shared database, this is a natural extension. But starting with a
> separate login system makes single sign-on a *separate* goal. This is not
> just a technical issue of yet another redundant user table. It's also a
> social issue of not being able to use the synergy from the launch of the
> commons to promote single sign-on (which will likely have some initial
> hurdles to overcome) and vice versa. It's difficult to generate excitement
> about small, evolutionary steps.

I think the effect will rather be opposite. By introducing many things at
once, it is likely that some will not be used that would be if presented
separately.

Also, I think we can diide the users of Wikicommons in two groups - those
directly interested, and those who are interested because it helps them
with another project. The first group can be got without extra features.
The second group will more likely be caught with content than with features.
If that idea is correct, the best way would be to start now with the first
group, and capture the second one when the direct upload and reference
from Wikipedia/Wikibooks/whatever is created, by showing them that there
is something they can actually use - a collection of pictures, already
divided into galleries.

> - The initial edits on a wiki lay the foundation of what that wiki will
> become. If just a few people get involved in this project, because it
> offers no really cool, exciting possibilities, then the project foundation
> may well not be as solid as it could be. For example, people may decide to
> create image categories and upload requirements in the first two weeks.
> This structure will then become harder and harder to change as it seeps
> in, and when we add all the new cool features which attract more people --
> a better upload form, transparent use of commons media from all wikis,
> single sign-on -- it may already be too late to quickly and effectively
> fix certain problems. Too much may have grown into the structure already.

Again, the cool, exciting features are I think not what draws people to the
project. Their own wish for a project like this, and the content of the
project are the more likely elements.

Problems like you describe will definitely happen, but I think they will
happen just as much if we wait as when we don't.

> These concerns outweigh my desire to have something usable as soon as
> possible.

I still feel it differently. Apart from having a long lasting desire to
just do this, even if there aren't any extras, I also think that having
a database and a community already in existence will help, not hinder
in getting the features working and used.

Andre Engels