[Foundation-l] Re:Wikimedia Communs

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Fri May 28 18:30:23 UTC 2004

Erik Moeller (Eloquence) wrote in part:

>I find it difficult to believe that we would generate a lot of interest
>with an announcement that we have now a shared media repository, but that
>it isn't possible to use images from there anywhere without re-uploading
>them, that there is no improved upload form, no transparent inclusion of
>images, etc.

I haven't been involved in planning Wikicommons (your version or Andre's),
but I for one would make use of even Andre's substandard first version.
I would upload all of the images that I've used onto the Commons,
and I would check the Commons for future images that I may be looking for.
(Then if I find one, I'll copy it to whichever wiki I want to use it in.)

Having a central repository for images means that I don't have to search
all of the individual wikis -- which I would never bother to do anyway.
People just need to upload their images twice -- once to the Commons
and once to whatever wiki they got the image for in the first place.
Most people won't do that -- too bad, but I'm not worse off than before.
Some people /will/ do that (like me, and like Andre presumably) --
then I'm in much better shape!

>On the other hand, when we launch the Commons in one fell swoop, with all
>the changes - the brandnew upload form, the single login, the transparent
>inclusion if images, perhaps a "Move to commons" button on image pages -
>that will certainly generate a lot of interest in "What's going on over
>there?" and thanks to single sign-on, people can try it out immediately
>without having to set up yet another account.

This will be fantastic.  I completely understand if setting up a Commons now
takes away from development that you'd rather spend on the superior design.
After all, if the developers are busy, then Andre can't demand anything! ^_^
OTOH, if the inferior Commons is ready now, then I will use it if it appears,
while anticipating the superior upgrade with relish.

I don't know what the situation is from the developers' point of view.
But this is how one Wikipedia editor would react to a WikiCommons.

-- Toby