[Foundation-l] font and GFDL

Peter Jaros rjaros at shaysnet.com
Wed May 26 04:36:24 UTC 2004

On May 25, 2004, at 11:49 PM, Tomos at Wikipedia wrote:

> Our projects are based on web sites, so we do not offer any fonts,
> probably. But when people print out articles, or a wikibook for
> distribution, do they have to use GFDL-compatible fonts?

IANAL, but I would say, since the declaration of GFDL applies only
to the content, it's just like printing anything else out for
distribution.  I'm inclined to say that users have the right to use
fonts on their computers for free.  That's probably covered under a
license though.  I'm fairly sure that Mac OS X users are granted an
explicit license to royalty-free use of the included fonts.  I don't
know any details, though.

Peter

                  A house without walls cannot fall.
     Help build the world's largest encyclopedia at Wikipedia.org