[Foundation-l] font and GFDL

Tomos at Wikipedia wiki_tomos at hotmail.com
Wed May 26 03:49:17 UTC 2004

On japanese wikipedia, some had a discussion regarding copyright of fonts. I
thought this is something I should share with people outside of japanese
wikipedia.

Our projects are based on web sites, so we do not offer any fonts, probably.
But when people print out articles, or a wikibook for distribution, do they
have to use GFDL-compatible fonts?

My limited research indicates that fonts are protected by special law,
copyright law, or some other intellectual property law in many countries. In
Japan, it seems that the court have said that a font set is not a copyright
work, but a work of industrial design.

What if we offer some info. via PDF files or pngs? I know there are
WikiReader (print) and timeline (png with text) are coming out. Any tips for
others for others who want to do similar projects?

regards,

Tomos