[Foundation-l] Re: Copyright issues...walking on thin ice

Yann Forget yann at forget-me.net
Wed Aug 11 20:02:52 UTC 2004

Hi,

Le Wednesday 11 August 2004 18:31, Dietrich von Hase a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> >On fr:, we are doing it now.
> >http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discussion_Utilisateur:Tipiac/images
> >and the list is getting smaller every minute.
> >
> >We use the following tags whenever possible:
> >{{GFDL}}
> >{{DomainePublic}}
> >{{FairUse}}
> >{{LicenceInconnue}} (unknown)
> >
> >So later on, we can either clarify or remove the unknown licence images.
>
> If find this a very good approach and advance.
>
> However, I might suggest to additionally offer at least the Creative
> Commons license types as further options / choices for a picture
> publisher (for images only) in WP.  Its as easy as with Gnu Fdl to link
> the license info to the Creative Commons (CC) full text license text of
> the CC-Website.

We do whenever this license is used, but that's not very often.
I personally put my images under both licenses, GFDL and CC-BY-SA.
There are also a few other cases:
* http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Drapeau_quebec.png (authorized by the
government of Quebec under some restrictions);
* non commercial only.

> I suggest to consider it, because CC use is growing especially for media
> types of content. And CC should therefore be not left out since more and
> more picture databases grow under CC which can be used for WP too. And
> they should not be put under "LicenseInconnue" (rest of the pack) only
> because there is no other option for the CC licenses available.

"LicenceInconnue" means the license _is unknown_. Sorry if I was not clear.
Usually it means the source is unknown. If the author of a picture is known,
it's usually easy to find the license.

> Dietrich

Yann
--