[Foundation-l] Re: Wikimedia Foundation Website

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 4 07:54:45 UTC 2004

--- Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> So much as I would like this site to be multilingual, I must say I
> disagree with you in this case Sj. What you suggest is interested for
> meta probably (but the flags), but The Foundation is american, and the
> language used is english, so it is really okay that the portal page is
> in english.

Anthere, you of all people should know that the foundation is global. The fact
that it is incorporated in the United States is not really relevant. Jimbo and
I have recently exchanged emails about this very topic and we want to form a
U.S. chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation in part to demonstrate this
distinction.

Thus a language-selection portal would be appropriate and expected for the
foundation website. Not having it right away is simply due to the lack of a
technically and aesthetically good implementation. A side benefit of creating
such a portal would be adapting it for use at www.wikipedia.org and other www
wikimedia project domains.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)