[Foundation-l] Re: Wikimedia Foundation Website

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Wed Aug 4 22:19:14 UTC 2004

Daniel Mayer wrote:

>Thus a language-selection portal would be appropriate and expected for the
>foundation website. Not having it right away is simply due to the lack of a
>technically and aesthetically good implementation. A side benefit of creating
>such a portal would be adapting it for use at www.wikipedia.org and other www
>wikimedia project domains.

Unless we can get everyone translated accurately pretty quickly, we
might want to still give English primacy as the language in which
Foundation business is conducted.  This wouldn't be related to where the
Foundation is incorporated, just due to the fact that if we were to list
all languages that members understand at least somewhat, English would
almost certainly come out ahead by far, and it's the language most
commonly used for cross-borders business these days outside of Wikipedia
as well.  (If at some point it turns out that everyone learns Esperanto,
I'd be happy to move to that; or if people learn Latin again, we could
move back to using Latin as the international language of
correspondence, but for now it seems English has more speakers than any
of the alternatives).

Of course, instant high-quality translations would be even better, but
especially for sensitive things we have to be careful that the
translations actually all capture the same nuances of meaning.

-Mark