[Wikipedia-l] Re: Re : Mailing lists (Was: Dammit!

Tim Starling ts4294967296 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 23 07:39:27 UTC 2003

Anthère wrote:
> Some time ago, the english wikipedia decided to change
> the software to make it suit better her own needs;
> that is to make it possible to any sysop to block
> someone.
> I followed the discussion. It was a general soft
> change, intended for the needs of ONE wikipedia only
> (granted, we could use it as well one day, and that
> can really help in case of vandalism). It was
> discussed by english wikipedians only. It was decided
> by english wikipedians only.
> When I said that I did not want that on the french
> wiki (sorry that no one else speak up, but I am not
> gonna stop giving my opinion just because I am alone
> talking), the soothing answer was "then we won't make
> it available on the french wiki".
>
> It was not even officially announced to
> internationals, though imho, it is a *major* change,
> and could have *very* bad consequences on those
> wikipedias, where there are few sysops and no Jimbo.
>
> Of course, the feature is available on the french
> wiki. Just as politicians, promises last the time they
> are written.

It's enabled on all the wikis due to carelessness more than anything.
When I was writing it, I put in per-wiki configuration at your request,
but then I didn't put any more thought into the matter. It just so
happens that the default setting was on, and no-one bothered to turn it
off, so therefore it's on. I apologise for my oversight. I'll turn it
off by default now, on the basis that there is no consensus for it on
the other wikis. Then each wiki can discuss the feature separately, and
we'll turn it on for those wikis which express a consensus to enable the
feature.

The reason I implemented it at all was because Jimbo requested it. I've
finally hunted down the relevant posts:

http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2003-May/002994.html
http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2003-May/002996.html

-- Tim Starling.