[WikiEN-l] Systemic bias wrt gender

Jim Schuler jim62sch at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 17:40:00 UTC 2006

Seems to me that Wales first mentioned banning, no?  Nonetheless, quite a
few of us have indicated our disagreement with such a stance.

If your idea of moderation is biting sarcasm and a dismissive attitude I'm
afraid you do not put forth a good image of the Arbcomm.

On 11/25/06, Sean Barrett <sean at epoptic.com> wrote:

> Puppy stated for the record:
> > Sean Barrett wrote:
> >> #1 there can never be any doubt that hateful bigotry is running
> rampant,
> >> crippling the functioning of our society
> >>
> >> #2 anyone who wonders whether the alleged oppression is really as bad
> as
> >> is claimed is a hateful bigot who must be immediately reeducated if not
> >> exiled from the community
> >>
> >> Please remember that we started talking about -- and I'm still talking
> >> about -- Wikipedia, the place where we write articles, not this mailing
> >> list or IRC.  As I think you pointed out, there are different players
> as
> >> well as different sets of rules for each, making them distinct
> communities.
> >>
> >> - --
> >>  Sean Barrett     | I was forced to live for days
> >>  sean at epoptic.com | on nothing but food and water.
> >>

> > regarding #1: I assumed the precise opposite until this thread.
> > regarding #2: Bit dramatic, aren't you? Try rephrasing with less sturm
> > und drang.
> > Regarding both: Who are you saying made those assumptions?
> >
> > -kc-
>
> I find it difficult to hold a conversation with someone who thinks I am
> mocking them when I am not.  It tends to make "the climate ... hostile
> to speaking up," as someone just said.  To be clear: I am not mocking
> you.  I am trying to write from a moderate position, neither bigoted nor
> overly concerned about Wikipedia being crippled by bigotry.  However,
> I'm being rather clearly told that a moderate position is unacceptable.
>
> #1: This thread is indeed very bad.  This mailing list can be, but is
> not always, very bad.  IRC is so bad I don't bother logging on, which is
> bad for an Arbiter because quite a lot of significant activity occurs
> there.  I do not think that Wikipedia-the-place-where-we-write-articles
> is bad.  If you have evidence to the contrary, point me at it, and I
> will block the bad guys and bring the ArbComm case against them myself.
> We are commissioned to protect the article-writing community, and I
> think we've done a not-bad job for the past three years.  Any bigotry in
> Wikipedia-the-place-where-we-write-articles is only there because the
> ArbComm has not been made aware of it.
>
> #2: Okay, perhaps over-dramatic, but this just in: "telling Alphax to
> put his head in a bucket 100 times, and take it out 99, is treating him
> too kind."  Banning has been mentioned several times up-thread, which
> seems a bit much to me.  Rhetoric-escalation runs rampant, and of that
> particular crime I am as guilty as anyone.
>
> QUESTION: So can we make my comment #2 unquestionably over-dramatic?  Is
> there any way to bring the emotional intensity of this thread down?  I
> would like more information on the problems people have when trying to
> contribute to Wikipedia-the-place-where-we-write-articles.  I signed up
> [...]

Jim
http://iacobomus.blogspot.com/