[WikiEN-l] Systemic bias wrt gender

Fred Bauder fredbaud at waterwiki.info
Sat Nov 25 17:38:27 UTC 2006

On Nov 25, 2006, at 10:26 AM, Sean Barrett wrote:

>  I do not think that Wikipedia-the-place-where-we-write-articles
> is bad.  If you have evidence to the contrary, point me at it, and I
> will block the bad guys and bring the ArbComm case against them
> myself.
>  We are commissioned to protect the article-writing community, and I
> think we've done a not-bad job for the past three years.  Any
> bigotry in
> Wikipedia-the-place-where-we-write-articles is only there because the
> ArbComm has not been made aware of it.

While the Arbcom is prepared to tromp all over overt misogyny, I
think most problems are too subtle to come to our attention in the
form of a case. Or occur off-wiki on other sites. Actually I, and I
think most other arbitrators, routinely work on problems presented by
off-wiki harassment and attempts to ferret out personal information.
This work is informal and often not a part of an actual case.

Fred