[WikiEN-l] "Fair use" images of living people

Matthew Brown morven at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 05:33:20 UTC 2006

> Then I would advise you not to look at the Album_covers category.

Actually, I suspect the album covers have a better claim to fair use
than most others, since one cannot illustrate an article on an album
of recorded music by identifying the album's appearance in any other
way.  Furthermore, the use of the album art to identify it is
generally permitted without compensation by the record labels, and
thus they cannot claim that our screen-sized images of album covers
detract from their commercial uses of their copyrighted material.
Large-sized reproductions of album art DO have commercial value (e.g.
posters), so it is important that we only reproduce small versions of
them.

Furthermore, photos of album art are accurate reproductions of 2D
artwork and thus do not create a new copyright under Bridgeman vs.
Corel, thus there is no additional photography copyright to consider.

-Matt